Protected Bike Lanes
By using inexpensive, traffic-tested materials, we plan to switch the position of parking lanes and bike lanes when streets are already being paved, letting parked cars do the work of protecting the bikeway. These projects will enhance safety on streets that already have bike lanes.
These streets, which already have light traffic and slow speeds, will be updated at intersections to give priority to people biking and walking. This helps make streets more comfortable for people of all ages and abilities without adding dedicated bike lanes.
Better BikewaySJ Designs Incorporate Your Feedback
Better BikewaySJ will be installed on many of the street segments that will be repaved in Summer 2018. These paving projects are an opportunity to change design of the street between the curbs. The design process began with a network vision, and used a Complete Streets approach to enhance bikeways, add pedestrian crosswalks, adjust bus stop locations, and add traffic calming as part of bike boulevards.
In Spring 2018, City staff held four community meetings, presented to 16 neighborhood groups, consulted with downtown stakeholders, and updated the design plans to incorporate feedback. The table below summarizes major changes compared to today. These changes will be shared with the immediate neighbors of the project segments through mailings and in-person outreach.
Table of Design Elements and Major Changes
In addition to the changes summarized below, in many locations the street will function different from today:
These features occur throughout the network, and are not called out in the table.
Changes From Existing Conditions
Santa Clara to San Fernando
Protected Bike Lane and Bike Boulevard
Cahill to 10th
Protected Bike Lane
• Install new bus boarding islands and ramps for bikeway crossings.
• Swap on-street parking and bike lane.
• Relocate some freight loading zones.
• Relocate some parking spaces.
• Remove some parking spaces to add visibility at driveways.
• Remove left turn pockets at San Pedro St, Almaden Ave, 5th St, and
10th to 17th
Create bike bypass of existing traffic diverter at 13th.
San Fernando to San Antonio
Viola to Balbach
Market to Almaden Ave
Protected and Buffered Bike Lane
• Convert street to one way.
• Drop bike lane protection for freight loading zones and bus loading
Market to 1st
Basic Bike Lane
• Remove parking on the south side.
• New angled parking planned for 1st Street (William to San
1st to 4th
• Remove parking on the north side.
• Relocate Ford GoBike station to 1st Street.
4th to 10th
Protected Bike Lane (westbound), Bike Boulevard (eastbound)
• Remove parking on the north side, and between 7th and 8th on the
• Convert pedestrian scramble at 7th to four crosswalks.
• Install new bus boarding island and ramps for bikeway crossing.
San Salvador Street
10th to 16th
San Salvador to William
Hedding to Taylor
Buffered Bike Lane
Reduce travel lanes from 4 to 2.
Taylor to Julian
Julian to San Fernando
Swap on-street parking and bike lane.
San Fernando to San Salvador
Protected Bike Lane
• Add northbound bike lane along SJSU.
• Remove parking garage entrance turn lane.
San Salvador to Reed
St. James to Reed
• Add new parking between Santa Clara and St. John.
• Remove right turn pocket at Santa Clara, add passenger loading
St. James Street
3rd to 4th
San Carlos Street
2nd to 4th
Protected Bike Lane and Basic Bike Lane
• Remove painted median buffer from 4th to 3rd.
• Westbound direction widens to 2 travel lanes closer to 2nd Street.
Montgomery to Almaden Blvd
1st to 3rd
• Convert angled parking to parallel parking.
• Shift on-street parking and bike lane.
3rd to 5th
Remove parking on south side.
5th to 13th
• Install traffic circle at 5th.
• Install traffic diverter at 10th that only allows motor vehicles to
make a right turn from St. John to 10th.
Empire to Jackson
Jackson to Taylor
21st to Mabury
Install 2-way bike lane on the south side of the bridge over US 101.
Taylor to King
• Install 2-way bike lane on the south side to DOT way, and on the
north side from DOT way to Berryessa BART.
• Remove parking on south side from Lenfest to King.
Santa Clara Street
30th to 31st
• Delayed to 2019 due to Caltrans Right of Way.
• Remove right turn lanes onto US 101, add protected intersections.
San Antonio Street
17th to King
• This segment is planned for 2019 pavement maintenance.
• Outreach and design was started in 2018.
• DOT is considering locations for traffic calming and diversion.
• Bike lanes from 28th to 33rd will be enhanced (over 101).